Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thoughts on Silence (by Laura)

Silence. It makes me think about a visit to Italy's Sistine Chapel where the uniformed guards bark in curt whisper, "Silenzio", often followed by "no photo."
I get it. Those guards dutifully beckon tourists to be silent, and perhaps do not even fully understand what a gift this silence is--the chance to lay aside the camera and to live in the moment...to experience fully the art and wonder of it all. The wonder evolves into reverence...and the reverence leads to anticipation...anticipation of an encounter with the one who came to save .
I lift my head up to see Michelangelo's paintings on the ceiling. I gasp with awe. I linger in the room. There is no photo that will do this moment justice.
I see God's finger reaching to touch Adam's and I have no words. Silence is a gift. This advent, I wonder in silence. I wonder at the idea of creation and at the idea of the One who has the power to save. I wonder why He desires broken and flawed humanity, ones who cause His heart great ache. I wonder at such love...at such a power, able to restore the broken-hearted. I wonder at His power to redeem and why He does this.
I linger in these thoughts this advent...and I reach with great anticipation, believing that His finger is reaching to touch mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment