Wednesday, December 21, 2011

WORSHIP

     The next to last candle of Advent represents the Wisemen who came from a great distance to worship the King of the Jews.  There is great mystery surrounding this entourage of men.  The book of Matthew describes them as Magi, a term that denotes men of wisdom and learning.  They read books (a uncommon skill in the ancient world), knew history and studied sciences such as astrology.  Based on the gifts they brought, most assume they were wealthy, powerful, respected men. . . maybe even kings.  But, it's not clear how many of them there were, where they came from and how long they had traveled. 
     What is clear is that this caravan of men came for one simple reason:  to worship the newborn king of the Jews.  One of my favorite Christmas songs use to be "We Three Kings of Orient Are," mainly because of the melody.  I know the words by heart, yet they have never impacted my heart.
    
      "We three kings of Orient are,
        Bearing gifts we traverse afar,
        Field and fountain, moor and mountain,
        Following yonder star."

These men left their culture, their families and their reputations to worship.  They exchanged their own glory to give glory to another.  They had no road map or GPS, just a star to guide them.   They sacrificed time, money, personal energies and probably their social standing to follow a star and worship a king in a country that was not their own.
      I, on the other hand, sacrifice very little to go to church each Sunday and worship Jesus.  I drive only ten minutes away to a warm, safe building.  I can walk in with a coffee, chat with people who speak my language (mostly), sit surrounded my family and people I love, worship through great music and hear a stimulating message.  All this consumes a fraction of my day and honestly, requires very little of me.  So why do I still experience Sunday  morning reluctance to worship Jesus?  Why do I sometimes long to stay in my pajamas until noon, drink my coffee at home or work in my garden?   Why am I sometimes critical of a worship service?   And why do I let my feelings be a barometer of how "well" I worship my God?
     Somehow worship has become a self-serving, extra-curricular activity in my life.  I do not associate it with sacrifice.  I like to worship comfortable. 
      And yet the Bible is full of references of making sacrifices of praise.  "Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for me.  Let them sacrifice thank offerings and tell of his works with songs of joy."  Psalm 107: 21, 22 
     Am I willing to make sacrifices in order to worship Jesus?  This kind of worship can happen anytime at any place.  Will I sacrifice my agenda in the middle of busy days, to say "thank you" to Jesus?  Will I sacrifice some of my sleep in order to read His book to me and affirm He is my God?  Will I push through fatigue, discouragement and cynicism to look up and invite Him in?  Will I sacrifice getting my way in order to yield to His way? 
     This Christmas I am asking God to give me a fresh view of worship, a willingness that outstrips my reluctance and the belief that Jesus is really worth every bit of sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment